- In the accident, a bus ferrying passengers to David Mutua’s wedding plunged into the swollen River Enziu killing more than 30 people
- Mutua while speaking to journalists at their home in Nuu village in Kitui said out of the casualties, they lost 10 family members
- The elderly man disclosed that he lost his two daughters, Racheal Mutua and Jane Mutua, and seven grandchildren
Pay attention: Become TUKO.co.ke ambassador – get a branded T-shirt, hoodie or water bottle at our TUKO Shop!
The horrendous Mwingi tragedy almost swept away the entire family of Mzee David Mbuvi Mutua who was set to renew vows with his wife on the fateful day.
In the accident that occurred on the morning of Saturday, December 4, a bus ferrying passengers to Mutua’s wedding plunged into the swollen River Enziu killing more than 30 people.
The ill-fated 51-seater vehicle belonging to St Joseph Seminary Mwingi was mainly occupied by the St Cecilia choir members and Mutua’s family.
Mwingi Man Says Wife, 2-Week Old Baby Died in Ill-Fated Bus after Asking for Lift
Mutua flanked with his wife Veronica Syombua while speaking to journalists at their home in Nuu village in Kitui said out of the casualties, they lost 10 family members.
PAY ATTENTION: Join TUKO.co.ke Telegram channel! Never miss important updates
While fighting back tears, the elderly man disclosed that he lost his two daughters, Racheal Mutua and Jane Mutua, and seven grandchildren.
TUKO.co.ke has now put faces to Mutua’s family members who died in the tragedy.
1. Jane Mutua Muremi and Agnes Kakivi
2. Racheal Mathenge and her six-year-old Juliet Mathenge Manoti
3. Veronica Kioko and her two-year-old son Bella Bush
4. Six-year-old Faith Munanu.
5. Angela Symbua and her two-year-old son Ethan Murimi.
As Mutua and his remaining family struggle to come to terms with the loss, the focus has since shifted to funeral arrangements.
Some passengers paid KSh 50
In other news, new details showed that among the River Enziu casualties were stranded travellers who had camped at the river bank waiting for its waters to subside.
Governor Samboja Proudly Introduces Gorgeous Wife During Pre-Wedding Ceremony
It is reported that the desperate travellers who had camped by the river for hours paid KSh 50 each to be ferried by the bus across the river.
The travellers had reportedly turned down offers from the local divers to carry them across the river at KSh 200 per person.
Instead, they opted for a cheaper option of paying KSh 50 to board the school bus that was ferrying Catholic Church choir members to a wedding in which an elderly couple was renewing their vows.
Bus pulled out
The ill-fated school bus that plunged into the river was pulled out on the evening of Sunday, December 5.
According to a video seen by TUKO.co.ke, the bus was pulled out by a crane and an excavator.
Kitui Governor Charity Ngilu said the recovery team will still be on-site to ascertain whether more bodies were still trapped in the river bed.
PAY ATTENTION: Help us change more lives, join TUKO.co.ke’s Patreon programme.